Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Weapon of Choice... The RR-02!!!

Many of you guys have seen pictures floating around of one of our MR-02's which has the positive wire lead to the motor coming out of the center of the top cover. This car is a little project I took upon early this year when I was still a TGR factory pilot. Ozan, at TGR had sent me the latest version of his awesome speedo to test.

The new Spinner + is a fully adjustable speed controller, which can be programmed by following several easy steps in the set-up process. In combination with a KO Propo digital servo board and a de-cased Spektrum Micro receiver, I came up with my new electronics package.

By stuffing the new electronics in my MR-02, we started the transformation of that particular Mini-Z that today, we like to dub the RR-02. Many changes have come to the car, it has been converted from a Pan Car, to a Touring Car several times and back. The one constant that we love most though is the most important one: its driveability.

The stand alone hobby grade electronics put even the new KO 2.4 ASF boards to shame. The throttle feel and steering precision is matched only by those found in bigger scales.

At the time, only the PN Racing Pan Car class allows this type of electronics package, but we are constantly lobbying for them to be allowed in other classes as well. The cars are simply better.

The RR-02 is not just the electronics though, what allowed us to call it our own name was the combination of our Wide-Track-Front end (a.k.a. WTF!) and our new Side Damper Rear Suspension. Some may say that we are being self-centered by renaming a Kyosho MR-02 into a Reflex Racing RR-02, but if you really look at it, the only Kyosho parts we are using on this car anymore is the battery box, servo gears and motors. The rear pod comes from PN Racing, along with other tidbits from other manufacturers, the car is essentially all Reflex Geometry. And what makes one chassis different from others? The Geometry!!!

Anyways, I love racing this car. It is my habitual club racer and it will also by my entry at the PN Racing Regional in October at Kenon. Kenon is known to be the fastest track in this year's PN Racing Mini-Z World Cup, and if all goes as planned, the RR-02 might end up at the top of the standings at the end of the year before the finals in Las Vegas in November... ;)

Well anyways, enough rambling. I now leave you with some pics in its current touring car 98mm set-up.




6 comments:

Red Team Racing said...

Great chasiss Cristian, I guess will be a great car to compete against P28, don't you think ?
BTW, what's the status on P28, is not in yet ?

Do you plan to sell this RR 02 ? If yes, wil be great to sell it with the Ko propo digital servo board included and the new Spinner, I'll be buying one instantly, :)

Speaking of Ozan, what happened with Hurda Challenge, have you got any info from him on that?

Thanks,
iulian

PS: Can I post the translation from your blog, along with some pictures of the nice things you make here, on my blog ?
You can see my blog here: www.redteamracing.info
Thanks !

Cristian Tabush said...

Iulian, of course you can translate the blog, so long as you give credit and post the links to the original source as well as the author responsible for the entry.

The P28 is due in at the end of next week. We are very excited about it, It just won't be ready for the regional at Kenon. As for the PNWC, whichever car is faster in practice, will be the car that I end up running.

We are looking into the options for the conversion. I doubt we will sell it assembled, but we might offer the parts package to build one yourself in the near future. So many projects, so little time...

As for the Hurda Challenge, I think it would be best to ask Ozan about it...

Unknown said...

Cristian, do you plan on posting a tutorial for this anytime? There were quite a few of us who did a similar mod to the AWD, but stuffing everything under the cover of the mr02 probably requires a good deal more work. Any insight would be great help.

Red Team Racing said...

Right, a tutorial wil be great !
I want to do the same conversion but since a regular servo has 3 wires, I'm wondering how should I connect the 2 wires from the MR02 AM servo pot to the 3 wire servo board ?
Do you used a MR02 AM servo pot or ASF pot ? As I know, the AM has 2 wires and the ASF has 3, right ?
Right now I have an ruined AM PCB so I have to use this for this, but if you can you help me on this, I'll appreciate ...thanks !

Best regards,
iulian

Cristian Tabush said...

An AM pot is the same as the ASF Pot, you just do not need to jump any of the wires, but rather go directly with 3 wires to it. I will work on a tutorial. There is a little bit of modding required to make it work, but nothing major. I will try to get something up soon...

-CT-

Red Team Racing said...

I'm looking forward to see the tutorial on your blog !